These items were going to be brought to you by the bucket of water and bath toys I had put out on the in-no-way-waterproof floor of the Bean’s room because my God, sometimes you have to do crazy things just to surprise the creature into giving you some peace, but just as I opened the “new post” window, the Inevitable but none the less Great Flood occurred. So now these items are brought to you by ordinary neglect — wait, this just in: These items now brought to you by trying to type with one hand while nursing.
- Item: The Bean is on a renewed nursing kick. He wasn’t really off before — still 4-6 times a day, even at this late date — but now it’s serious. I think someone told him about weaning and he freaked out. The height (pretty please!) of the fervor was a few weeks ago, when it seemed like all he did between meals of solid food was nurse and wail. Reminded me why I used to hate nursing so much.
- Item: Eating solid food is also Always In Fashion. I was reassured when a nanny and mother of three sat for him and Could Not Get Over the sheer quantity of food consumed at one of his five (5??) daily meals. I think he eats a ton, but what do I know about babies?
- Item: Where he puts those calories is anybody’s guess. He continues to slide slowly down the growth chart for weight. At 18 lbs. 14 oz., he’s now 4th percentile for weight. (CDC. I’m sure he’s higher on the WHO charts — which even the CDC says to use under 24 months — but I haven’t looked up the numbers.) He’s 39th%ile for height (29.5″), and his doctor is not worried. “He’s just skinny.” She has a daughter like that, and talked about how much she loves to watch her eat.
- Item: I love the Bean’s doctor. She always makes me feel better. Also normal, she says, is the way he seemed to be starting to play with speech some time ago and then stopped. His receptive language seems just fine, but we hardly even get a “Mama” these days. “They do that,” she says, “It does not mean what you are thinking.”
- The only slight disappointment about the visit was that all her advice about the fact that while the Bean eats Much Food he no longer (for the past month or two) eats Many Foods falls into the category of What I Am Already Trying To Do. I suppose that’s validating, at least. And Sugar says she found it helpful, so there’s that.
- Item: A longer post should be written (perhaps even by me! This year!) about all the praise out there for fat babies and skinny mothers, while we plod along as the inverse. See also: Fun with PMS; Fun with Envy; Buying Clothes Sucks.
- Item: I am officially back in my old size, in the sense that the size up is always too big, but 90% of “my size” is too small. Neat. I bought jeans anyway; they now look saggy. WTF?
- The Bean had a birthday! We survived the first year! There was a lot of cake. Plural cakes, even. I will (will!) write more later about how profoundly blessed it is that this is leap year. Also, there will be some pictures.
He fell asleep (yes, I am nursing him to sleep, even though I was so proud of never doing that when he was tiny. Shit happens.), and I need to get dressed for work. I leave you with a picture of one of the Bean’s gifts from my parents (as suggested by the inimitable Starhillgirl, infant professional), already much adored:
That’s right: Baby’s First personalized shot glass. #mamasdontletyourbabysgrowuptobefratboys